Recipe of Calcutta Ghugni
Calcutta Ghugni is one of the most classic dishes of Bengal. In this dish the chick peas are cooked with coconut and some spices. It is very delicious to taste and look attractive to many people. In India this dish bears an important significance. The people of India eat it on both casual and formal occasions as it is very easy to cook. It can also be eaten as a salad. Calcutta Ghugni can be taken with porri, pratha, or rice depending on the taste of people. In some areas of the India people serve this dish as tradition. So, in today’s post we bring the Recipe of Calcutta Ghugni. We hope that you will not only like it but also you will try at home.
- 1 ½ cups (225 gms) with chick peas
- 1 level tsp soda bicarb ½ fresh coconut, cut into thin strips and then sliced finely
- 2 large onions, sliced 1 fresh ginger ground to paste
- 8 cloves garlic, ground to paste
- 2 tsps coriander seeds
- ½ tsp cumin seeds, ground to a paste
- 8 small green cardamoms
- 8 cloves and 4 ½ length pieces cinnamon dry ground together
- 5 tsps plain yogurt
- 3 level tsps granulated sugar
- 1 level tsp turmeric
- 1 level tsp chili powder
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 tsp ghee
- 4 tsps mustard oil preferably
- 4 cups (1000 ml) water
- 2 potatoes
- 2 tomatoes
- chicken 2 or 4 pieces
- Soak chick peas overnight. Next day wash and drain them.
- Add again fresh water with soda bicarb. Soak for another hour.
- Heat the oil and fry potato. Drain and keep aside.
- To the same oil add cumin seeds and after a few seconds, add big cardamoms and sliced coconut.
- Fry for a few minutes. Add onion and fry until golden in color.
- Add garlic past and coriander-cumin past and fry until brown.
- Add turmeric, fried potatoes cubes, yogurt and sugar stirring frequently. Fry until the oil begins to separate.
- Add chick peas, bay leaves and salt. Mix well. Pour in water. Reduce heat.
- Cover and cook until chick peas are tender.
- Remove from fire, add garam masala and ghee. Mix well. Serve hot.
- Decorate with rings of onions, tomato ring, coriander the common name is (dhaniya)