Biryani is a bit of project and is time consuming but I have never been disappointed with the result. Since it is such a festival dish. We usually make it for dinner parties. It is a huge hit.
Ready in 1 hour and 25 minutes.
½ Kg Basmati rice, washed ,socked for 30 min
½ Kg mutton chops
½ Cup oil
4 black cardamon pods (bhari elache)
8 whole cloves (lavang)
4 cinnamon sticks (dalchini)
4 large onion, sliced thin
1 tablespoon garlic paste
1 tablespoon ginger paste
¼ cup chopped coriander leaves
3 tablespoon chopped mint leaves
2 teaspoon red chili powder
3 tomatoes chopped
4 green chilies, slit in halves
1 onion sliced ,deep fry (for garnish)
Salt to taste
2 tablespoon curd
2 tbsp lemon juice
½ teaspoon saffron soaked in 2 tbsp warm milk
Mutton with roasted vegetables and couscous
Prep : 25 min , Cook : 1 hour
1) Heat oil in the fry pan and add the whole masala (cinnamon ,cardamom ,cloves). Fry till fragment, about 1 min. Add the onion and fry till the light brown. Now add the garlic and ginger paste and fry till fragment. Add the coriander and mint leaves and fry for 1 min.
2) Add the washed and drained mutton chops and a teaspoons of salt. Saute (bhuno) till the mutton is dry and starts to brown ,about 15-20 minutes.
3) Add red chili powder, tomato and green chilies and keep frying till the oil separate from the gravy.
4) Add the yoghurt and lemon juice. Cover and cook till mutton is tender about 15 min. You might need to add a little water.
5) Meanwhile boil the rice in 3 times amount of water with salt added 10-12 mintues.The rice should be almost done, but still a little chewy .Drain the excess water.
6) To layer the Biryani put half the rice in a deep pot (that has a cover). Spoon the cooked mutton masala. Sprinkle the fried onions on the top. Finish with the rest of rice. Sprinkle with the saffron mixed with milk on top. Cover tightly and cook (dum) on low heat till done ,about 15 minutes.
About 10-15 minutes delicious Mutton Biryani is ready to serve.